Deadline for receipt of proposals: September 21, 2020.
In accordance with the provision of the Article 2 and 3 of the Specific Cooperation Agreement between the Center for Research and Advanced Studies of the National Polytechnic Institute of The United Mexican States (Cinvestav) and The National Research Council of The Italian Republic (CNR), signed in Mexico City, Mexico, on the fourth day of July of two thousand and sixteen; Cinvestav is pleased to announce the third call for proposals of joint research projects in basic and applied collaborative research between Cinvestav and CNR.
The main objective of the program is to enable the establishment of new collaborative initiatives with potential for creating permanent ties between Cinvestav and CNR that will grow and continue with the support of other institutional and extramural funds. Projects funded are expected to lead to development of major, long-term collaborations, significant advancement of research collaboration in biological and medical sciences, physics, chemistry, mathematics, engineering and computer sciences as well as social sciences or humanities. The program also favors projects that enhance institutional collaboration in terms of student training and researcher exchange.
Each proposal must be co-directed by an eligible Principal Investigator (PI) from Cinvestav and an eligible Principal Investigator from CNR. The PI from Cinvestav should be a FULL TIME Researcher (Investigador Cinvestav nivel 3).
Postdoctoral researchers, part time employees and students are not eligible to submit proposals. Investigators are encouraged to submit proposals that include additional academic participants from their institutions. The PI may submit only ONE ORIGINAL proposal to this competition, i.e., it may NOT be a copy of the proposals submitted to other funding agencies.
Conditions of Award
Because of the collaborative component of these awards, a single final narrative report indicating full concurrence by both PI’s and financial reports from each institution must be submitted at the end of the project to the corresponding authorities. The support of Cinvestav and CNR shall be acknowledged in the proposals, publications, conference materials, exhibitions, video tapes, or other products of the grant.
Any selected project that uses animals, human subjects, including pilot surveys or interviews, will be required to get prior approval or exemption before the grant can be awarded. Copies of the approval or research permits that have been obtained should be included in the proposal as an attachment.
The agreement between the CNR and the CINVESTAV provides a maximum funding of four (4) projects with an annual contribution for Part project of Euro 10.000,00.
Awards annually up to 10.000,00 € (ten thousand euros) for each institution will be provided for four projects. The budget must specify the planned distribution of costs and funds at both CINVESTAV and CNR. All budgets are subjected to strict administrative reviews. The appropriateness of the budget to the project and to the Cinvestav-CNR program is considered within the criteria for the peer review process. No project will be funded until all the appropriate items have been approved.
Allowable expenses include:
- Domestic and international travel – including transportation, lodging, and meal expenses - for the purpose of meeting for project planning, collaborative research and training; field, laboratory and archival research; and data collection. Conference attendance is given lower priority in the review process.
- Research materials
Items which will NOT be funded include:
- Student research assistant
- Purchase of equipments
- Salary payments to PI’s or any other academic salaries
- Students fees or tuition
- Indirect costs or institutional overhead assessments
How to apply
To apply you need to upload the following documents Applications Submission (all the applications should be written in English):
- Fill in the Application Format.
- Institutional approval for Cinvestav’s PI (Head of the Department or the Director of the Unit)
- Budget request specifying the cost to support activities at each of the participating institutions along with detailed explanation of all requested items. Indicate all amounts in euros. The budget must specify the planned distribution of costs and funds at both CINVESTAV and CNR, the planned expenses, scheduled activities and their cost.
- Abbreviated curriculum vitae for each PI and academic participants in the project (except students). Do not exceed 3 pages for each individual; list only current and/or most relevant publications.
- Project plan. Do not exceed 5 Pages. The meaningful participation of PI’s must be evident in the project plan. Provide background information about the project, summarize relevant academic or scientific issues and literature, and state the specific objectives of the project. Describe the work to be performed, including information about who will perform each task and the timeline governing the work; discuss plans for continuation of the project beyond the grant period, including plans to seek additional funding from outside agencies and foundations. Explain the significance of the work, both its potential for advancement of science, scholarships, or technology and its possible importance in regional, environmental, economic or social development. If graduate students are to be involved in the project, describe the work they will undertake, its relevance to their graduate study, and the supervision planned for their participation. Also provide a list of key resources (bibliography) cited in the languages in which they were published.
In brief, the project plan can be divided:
- Summary or abstract. Keep in mind that the summary and abstract should be understandable to a review committee of diverse academic expertise.
- Objectives: Scientific objectives (3000 characters).
- Description and methodologies (6000 characters).
- International context (2000 character).
- Selected 5 recent publications in the context of the projects (México) (2000 characters).
- Current cooperation’s (eventual common publications) (2000 character).
- Expected results and schedule of realizations of tasks (4000 characters).
Deadline for receipt of proposals
To be considered, proposals must be submitted not later than 11:59 pm (Mexico Central time), September 21, 2020.
The results will be published during December, and the PI of the approved proposals will be informed by email.
Review process and criteria
Cinvestav and CNR are committed to the principles of peer review and parity in the review and selection processes. Each proposal will be reviewed, evaluated and rated by a committee of faculty of members and/or researchers from Mexican and Italian institutions representing expertise in relevant topics. Proposals should be written for a committee of broadly based expertise and interests. Appropriate bibliography and supporting documents should be provided.
In addition to standard review criteria such as clarity, quality and feasibility of the proposal, the committee will assign great importance to the character of the proposed collaboration and the bi-institutional unity of the work. Reviewers will seek evidence of meaningful participation among the collaborators and will look for project design that leads to development of new research programs and resources. The potential for establishment of long-term collaborative activities between the PI’s and their students; the involvement of graduate students is an important factor.
Reviewers will consider whether the budget is consistent with the methodology, appropriate to the program goals, plans for future work beyond the project period and the intention of the researchers to develop applications for extramural funding agencies and foundations that can provide substantial long-term support.
All funds will be administered in accordance with the Cinvestav and CNR policies and their institutional requirements. Each PI is responsible for appropriate administration of funds, accounting of expenditures, and timely completion of financial reports. PI’s are equally responsible for preparation of the required final narrative report and for acknowledgement of Cinvestav and CNR support in products resulting from the grant. Final scientific and financial reports are to be submitted jointly by both PI’s within the established deadlines to Cinvestav and CNR authorities for their records. No indirect costs or institutional overhead may be charged against funds awarded under this program.
For additional information contact:
Coordinación de Relaciones Internacionales: firstname.lastname@example.org